What We Do
“The ARA supports and educates members and other practitioners in the musculoskeletal field to enable provision of best possible management for patients. It fosters excellence in the diagnosis and management of musculoskeletal and inflammatory conditions through training, professional development, research and advocacy."
(1) Services and infrastructure. To ensure provision of appropriate and
relevant services to members by defining ongoing needs and developing services and infrastructure in line with those needs.
(2) Workforce and trainee development. To ensure undergraduate
rheumatology training meets the ongoing professional and community needs through workforce evaluation, trainee recruitment and curriculum development.
(3) Professional development and practice standards. To support members
in maintaining professional competencies by supporting availability and accessibility of relevant continuing education and by establishing practice standards in the area of musculoskeletal medicine.
(4) Collaboration and partnerships. To foster a culture of collaboration
with other specialties, health professionals and consumers, and to actively seek opportunities for partnership development across the activities of the organisation.
(5) Advocacy. To advocate on behalf of members, patients and the general
community in order to support quality and equitable provision of musculoskeletal services.
(6) Profile. To ensure the speciality of rheumatology achieves
recognition and influence in the general community, amongst the medical profession and within government circles.
(7) Research. To facilitate high quality and relevant research in the
field of rheumatology by expanding opportunities for member involvement, exploring opportunities for collaboration with other professional groups and taking a leadership role with respect to pharmaceutical industry research.
(8) Resources. To generate resources to maintain and expand association
activities and utilise these resources to the optimal benefit of association members, the profession and the community.